John was born and grew up in south east England and now lives in the City of Manchester with his writer wife, Kate and their daughter Violet. He first became interested in photography at the age of eleven in the 1970's and is both self taught and formally educated. John has had work published in several magazines & books, has worked with an award winning theatre company and his work is in private collections worldwide. He has also exhibited in the UK and abroad.
John's primary interest is working with historic photographic processes, particularly wetplate collodion, cyanotype, platinum/palladium and gum bichromate.
· Art & Photography Tutor, Self-employed, Manchester, October 2000 to Present
· Consultant, Loughborough University, Department Of Photography, 01/2013 - 02/2013
· Art Tutor, START in Salford, 09/2011 - 12/2013
· Printmaking Tutor, Hotbed Press, Manchester, 10/2011 - 03/2012
· Freelance Photographer, Self-Employed, Bristol, 09/1991 - 06/2010
HNC Applied Arts, 2001, South Gloucestershire And Stroud College, Bristol
· Sept 2017: "Wetplate Experiments" article, Lomography Magazine
· Aug 2016: images in Gum Printing: A Step-by-Step Manual by Christina Z. Anderson
· Feb 2015: prospectus cover, University of Suffolk
· Jan 2015: interviewed by Emma Wilson for the British Journal of Photography
· July 2011: photographs published in Amateur Photographer magazine
· July 2011: photographs published in North East Life magazine
· June 2011: photographs in Daily Telegraph, ‘Modern Victorian Photography’
· Autumn 2005: article on the cyanotype process for The Large Format Journal
· May 2009: book contributor, World Wetplate Collodion Day
· April 2014: Demonstration for The Charlotte M Yonge Fellowship & The Lewis Carroll Society
· January 2013: Photographic Consultant for Loughborough University
· July 2011: MA photography lecture & workshop, Manchester Metropolitan University
· July 2011: Saltburn Victorian Photography talk at the Arts Bank Gallery
· September 2010: Speaker at the Society of Archivists Conference, Manchester
TV Appearances, Short & Feature Film Work
· Sept 2017: featured in BBC 4, Britain in Focus, presented by Eamonn McCabe
· November 2015: Plate for film (assistant to Stephen Berkman ), Batman versus Superman (Warner Bros; Director: Zack Snyder)
· June 2015: Plate for short film, Dark Glass (Director: Katie Dolan)
· July 2014: 'Hidden Mothers' segment about Victorian Photography, BBC 1, The One Show
Workshops & Masterclasses
· May 2018: See Me: Workshop for Isle of Wight Pride
· February 2014: Workshop at Dimbola Lodge, Isle of Wight
· October 2011-March 2012: Masterclasses at Hot Bed Press
· July 2011: Demonstration of the wetplate process at Saltburn Anniversary Festival
· November 2018: Alternative Photography Group Exhibition, Clifford-Thames Gallery, London
· February 2018: Purlieu One, Woodend Mills, Mosley, Ashton under Lyne.
· April 2015: In Search of Lost Time, Dimbola Lodge, Isle of Wight.
· October 2014: Alternative Process: an exhibition of photography, The Engine Room, Mossley
· November 2013: Cabinet of Curiosities, Start Creative Arts and Wellbeing Centre, Salford
· October 2013: The Last Spooky Show, LightBox Photographic Gallery, Astoria, Oreon, USA
· October 2013: Alternative Photographies exhibition, The Palace Hub Gallery, Redcar
· October 2013: Planetari De Castello, Paseo Maritimo 1 Gao de Castellón, Spain.
· May 2013: Two Friends That Never Met, LightBox Photographic Gallery, Astoria, Oregon, USA.
· December 2012: Vanitas, Double Negative Darkroom, Hackney, London, UK.
· February 2012: Curious Pursuits, The Portico Library, Manchester, UK.
· July 2011: The Arts Bank Gallery, Saltburn, UK.
· November 2010: Salford Museum and Art Gallery, Salford, UK.
· November 2010: Palacio de la Isla, Cáceres, Spain.
· September 2010: Casa de la Cutura carra Balme, Onda, Spain.
· May 2010: Dissenters Gallery, Kensal Green, London, UK.
· September 2007: Centro Cultural Capitol de Caja Duero Santi Espíritu , Cáceres, Spain.